Carolina Day School is excited to celebrate the third annual CDS Hiking Challenge!
We are lucky indeed to live in an area so rich in natural beauty and access to shared public lands including Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests, Great Smoky Mountains National Park and beyond. As an NC Green School of Excellence, CDS strives to foster a sense of stewardship by developing a sense of connection. In anticipation of Earth Day and the warmer months of spring, we once again invite our families, students, faculty, and administration to join the CDS Hiking Challenge.
The Challenge is to achieve and document eight or more hikes for the 2019-20 school year. All hikes completed since the first day of school, August 22, 2019 through Friday, May 8, 2020 are eligible.
All students who complete the Hiking Challenge will be recognized at the end of the year.
You can keep track of your hikes by printing your own CDS Hiking Passport.
Each time you complete a hike, enter the date and any other information you wish to include, like the hiking challenge level: easy, moderate, or difficult. You can refer to the Carolina Mountain Club hike search to determine the challenge level of your hike, or you can simply make your best guess. We trust you!
Record the hiking challenge level to receive a special designation on your CDS Hiking Passport.
Bronze (8 easy to moderate hikes)
Silver (8 moderate to difficult hikes)
Gold (15 or more hikes including 5 moderate to difficult hikes)
Build community by hiking with your family, friends, clubs, and grade teams.
Tag your hiking photos on social media with #cdshikes.
Submit your Hiking Passport to a teacher by Friday, May 8, 2020 to be officially recognized at the end of the year.
- Skinny Dip Falls – 45 minutes from CDS
- Graveyard Fields – 45 minutes from CDS
- Monkey Bottoms (AKA Calvin Trail, Montreat Creek) – 25 minutes from CDS
- Bryan Trail Loop (AKA Montreat Creek) – 25 minutes from CDS
- Dupont State Forest – 45 minutes from CDS
- Catawba Falls – 35 minutes from CDS
- Warren Wilson River Trail – 15 minutes from CDS
- Coontree Picnic Area/Moore Cove Falls—45 minutes from CDS
- Cove Creek/Whaleback – 45 minutes from CDS
- Azalea Park/Swannanoa River – 15 minutes from CDS
- Little Bradley Falls – 40 minutes from CDS
- Carolina Hemlocks – 1 hour, 20 minutes from CDS
- Bubbling Cascades – 1 hour from CDS