Enjoy these athletic highlights from our coaches for the January 20–29, 2020.
Middle School Lady Cats Finish the Season Undefeated!!!
Injuries? Check. Early foul trouble? Check. A road game against a great team, with lots of fans cheering against them? Check. The Wildcats overcame all of this adversity to win their closest game of the year (27-26). The team made a season-high nine free throws on their way to finishing off their undefeated season.
This was truly a remarkable group of girls. Ending a season is always hard, but this team and their fantastic attitudes and joy of the game made each practice great. Thanks to all of our CDS parents, faculty, and fans that showed their support throughout the season. We appreciate you all!
See you next season! Go Wildcats! —Coach Wilcox and Coach Killen
MS Basketball Dominates The Trailblazers!
Tue, Jan 21 - CDS vs Trailblazers, WIN
The Girls Middle School team brought a lot of energy as everyone saw several minutes of game action. Nine girls scored as the Wildcats took home another victory. —Coach Wilcox and Killen
JV Girls Basketball defeats Rabun Gap at Home
Friday, Jan. 24 - CDS vs Rabun Gap, W 31-14
Coming off a lopsided loss on Tuesday, the JV girls went to work. They gave great energy, focus, and spirit at practice on Wednesday and Thursday. Then the Wildcats played some of their best basketball of the year on Friday night against a well-coached, sporty Rabun Gap squad. Sparked by Faith Kelly's seven early points, Amaya Harris's relentless offensive rebounding, and Ellsworth Sullivan's assists, they earned a first-quarter lead which they never relinquished. Substitutes coming off the bench injected the game with energy- Athena Murray's defense was excellent. After two early fouls, Taylor Monday found her groove and anchored the team with her smart, tough play. —Coach Lammers and Husemann
Carolina Day Girls Swim Team Places 2nd at the CAA Conference Meet!
Congratulations to the following swimmers for winning their events last night:
- Olivia Sutter - Girls 200 IM, Girls 100 Back
- Liddy Newnam - Girls 100 Fly
- Abby Smith - Girls 500 Free
- Louisa Koon - Girls 100 Breast
- 1st Place - Girls 200 Yard Medley Relay (Olivia Sutter, Louisa Koon, Liddy Newnam, Abby Smith)
- 1st Place - Girls 200 Yard Free Relay
New state qualifier:
- Erin Hovendon - Girls 50 Free and Girls 100 Free
Swimmer qualifying in a new event
- Louisa Koon - Girls 100 Free
Swimmers improving on existing State Qualifying Times
- Abby Smith - Girls 50 Free
- Martin Moran - Boys 100 Fly, Boys 500 Free
- Jackson Lammers - Boys 100 Free, Boys 100 Breast
Varsity Swimming - ACA Invite - Wed, Jan 22
Scores - Women
- Asheville School 397
- Asheville Christian Academy 359
- Carolina Day School 300
- Owen High School Swim 19-20 214
- Rabun Gap Nacoochee School 165
- Thomas Jefferson Classical 56
- Avery County High School 31
Scores - Men
- Asheville School 448
- Christ School Greenies 325
- Asheville Christian Academy 288
- Carolina Day School 184
- Thomas Jefferson Classical 111
- Rabun Gap Nacoochee School 95
- Owen High School Swim 19-20 69
- Avery County High School 14
The big story of the night was our success in the girl’s individual events. Our standard meet file consists of 8 individual girl events. We were able to take first place in 5 of these eight events. Congratulations to Olivia Sutter, 1st place in both 200 Free & 100 Fly, Abby Smith 1st place in both 200 IM & 500 Free. Louisa Koon 1st place in the 100 Breast & 2nd in the 50 Free. Erin Hovendon finished 4th in the 100 Free. These same swimmers combined to win both the 200 Yard Medley Relay and 200 Yard Free Relay. Great job girls!! —Coach Rabenold
For a more detailed recap of last week’s meet follow the link HERE (you will be prompted to log in to My CDS).