We love hearing from our extended Carolina Day Family! Click here to tell us what’s new with you.
- Congratulations to Julie Patterson Shore who let us know that in 2013 she retired from IBM after nearly 37 years. In that same year she got married, which added two step-children and three step-grandkids to her family which consisted of a son and an 11 year old grandson. In addition to all of these changes, she says that she made her hobby “a profession” by coaching K through 5 in golf.
- Congratulations to Beth Pomeroy ACDS, Bert Kruger Smith Professor of Mental Health and Aging. She was recently inducted into the Academy of Distinguished Professors at the University of Texas at Austin. In 2013, she was the recipient of the UT Board of Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award.
- ● Jeff Slosman ACDS National Wiper Alliance, a company founded by Jeff in 1996, was featured on the cover of the November issue of Nonwoven Industry Magazine; and big congratulations to Jeff, as he recently received SBA North Carolina Small Business Person of the Year for 2015
- Hardy Wronske and his wife Regina welcomed Everett “Rett” and Raelle “Rae” to their family on December 13, 2014.
- Congratulations to Sam Switzer and her husband Jeff Fender. They welcomed baby Isabella Elyse Fender - 2 lbs. 2 oz on January 23, 2015
- Best wishes to Nathan Renfro, his wife Erin, and their children. They welcomed Olive Grace Renfro on December 30, 2014.
- Congratulations go out to Ryan Clifford. Ryan, the son of John and Amy Sharpe Clifford, was a pitcher on the USA Baseball U12 National Team who won the Gold Medal World Championship in Taiwan. The whole family was fortunate enough to be in the stands when the USA beat the Chinese 7 to 2.
- We are so glad to have Erin Owen and her husband, Jonathan Cole, back in the mountains! After 16 years as a professional dancer in New York City, Erin, and Jonathan, have moved to Waynesville where she opened Waynesville Pilates and has become the ballet instructor at Triple Threat Performing Arts in Sylva.
- Congratulations to Brian and Jenny Dykes Henson. They welcomed Ivey Grace Kendrick Henson to their family on February 5th, 2015.
- We are so happy for Nathaniel and Amanda Arendale Sykes on the birth of their daughter. Samantha Isabella Sykes was born on June 23, 2015, and weighed 7 lbs and was 19 ¾ ins.
- Congratulations to Dave and Neera Makwana Skurky on the birth of their daughter, Naya Anisa, on March 13, 2015.
- Congratulations to Jake and Elizabeth Trufant Flury, on the birth of their son, Luke, who was born on July 4, 2015. I am sure his big sister, AnneMarie, and big brother, Jude, love helping take care of him.
- Best wishes to Emily Trebolo Dillard and her husband Ben on the birth of their son Judah Taylor Dillard. He was born on January 18, 2015.
- Congratulations to Rachel King and Brandon Farmer. They were married October 12, 2014.
- Congratulations to Natalie Welch Ferson and her husband Sean on the birth of their daughter, Moira Elizabeth. She was born on March 24, 2015 and weighed 6 lbs 8 oz.
- We are excited for Josh and Georgia Evans Van on the birth of their son, George Rucker Van. He weighed in at 6 lbs. 3oz and 18.25 ins. long in July 27, 2015. I know that big sister, Blaisden, is excited to have him as part of their family.
- Since May 2015, Nate Shulman has been a faculty member of American University in Washington, D.C., where he teaches a course about graphic design history. He said, “CDS prepared me for this career path by providing an intellectually enriching and academically challenging environment, even from an early age.”
- Congratulations to Chris Pew and Britt Howe. The couple was married on July 11, 2015 in Hood River, Oregon. The wedding party was definitely a CDS affair. Not only is Chris a graduate but so are his brothers, twin, John ‘03 and Cary ‘01, his step-sister Kate Brown Walters ‘99, a current teacher at CDS, his step-brother David Brown ‘00, his nephew Asher Walters ‘24 and niece Zoe Walters ‘29, mother, Shelley Pew, past Board Chairman, and step-father, Kirk Brown, past Board Member, and step- brother-in-law, Jeremy Walters, current CDS parent.
- Congratulations to Jonathan Gach and Christine Fekete. They were married on October 11, 2014 at Sherrills’s Inn in Fairview.
- Congratulations to Danielle Nailen Gonzales and her husband Juan on the birth of their twins. Tucker Nailen, 5 lbs 9 oz, and Elliott James, 6 lbs were born March 1, 2015.
- Congratulations to Chris LaFever and Chelsea Cothran. They were married on April 25, 2015, at Tusculum Church of Christ in Nashville, TN.
- Congratulations to Marley Burns and Michael Lawrence. They were married on April 18, 2015, at the Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill.
- Congratulations to Caroline Hooker. She is now the Shadowing Coordinator at UNC. Caroline’s job will be to coordinate the work hours for all the prospective PA Students at Chapel Hill.
- Samantha Shoemaker shared, "This past summer, I worked as a research assistant in a biomedical engineering lab for a professor. I worked with PhD students daily on preventing clotting in artificial lung devices. I helped construct devices as well as test them and quantify clotting. It has been an incredible experience working in a lab on something that could one day help a large number of people, and I am continuing there this semester. "